It is very easy to develop a blog using wordpress but until you optimize it for search engines, you won’t find the best results. Here are some easy ways that will make your wordpress blog optimization easier.
1. Permalinks are very much important for search engines and make sure you set up your permalink settings in an optimal way. Go to Settings -> Permalinks section in the wordpress admin panel and use “/%category%/%postname%/” so that your posts are ready for search engine friendly urls. This settings will make your post urls to show “http://www.your-blog.com/category/posttitle/” which is easier to remember and search engine friendly.
2. Use a SEO for wordpress plugin, for example All in One SEO Pack, to create custom title, keywords, description for your blog. This will make sure your blog has the perfect title, a good description and keywords for search engines to track.
3. Before making any post to your blog, always do some keyword research. You can use Wordtracker’s “Free Keyword Suggestion Tool” or similar tools to find long tail keywords phrases for your blog posts. Use these keywords in your blog post titles and also inside the post 2-3 times.
4. After submitting each post to your blog, make sure you bookmarked them to various popular social bookmarking sites, for example – DIGG, Reddit, StumbleUpon etc. to get some good high pr backlinks. There are some services, for example – OnlyWire, to help you to submit your post link to multiple social bookmarking sites with just one click.
5. Always make sure you have optimized your blog home page properly. Grab 2-3 major keyword phrases and some extra keywords which are related to your niche and put them in your site’s title, description and keyword section. This will get you more targeted visitors easily and will help you to get good search engine position fast.
6. Make sure you have a good sitemap for your blog which is sometimes essential for search engines to find all your blogs contents. You can use special plugins, for example – Google XML Sitemap Plugin, or create a sitemap and upload to your server, then link it to your blog.
7. Finally, don’t forget to get more backlinks for your blog through blog commenting, link exchanges etc. Always try to create backlinks related to your niche which will help you more than any general backlinks from any other niche. You can also do article submission to ezine sites, press releases, forum posting and directory submissions for quick backlinks.